Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Phillies


I did not grow up watching the Phillies. My parents took my brother and I to a game once (1992ish?), not really sure why -- maybe my brother had asked to go? Either way, my parents got us nosebleed seats in the old Vet. I was scared out of my mind that I would fall forward and bash my nose on the concrete steps... ::shudder:: It was also kid's night, so Jeff and I each got a plastic Phillies mini-hat, a pictures of the roster, aaaand I think that's it. I don't remember much, just that it was against the Braves, and that we didn't like the Braves AT. ALL.

After that one game, I didn't really have any run-ins with the Phils. However, any time Elyza mentioned how much she loved the Colorado Rockies (she used to spend 1 months every summer in CO), I would always get defensive of the Phillies. I'm a very loyal person -- even if I'm not personally close with something -- if I'm connected to it in any way, it gets free defense-sessions from me, as long as it doesn't bite me in the butt. (Ex. If I defend some actor because they're from Philly, or went to BU, and then they have some sort of public breakdown due to Meth, or a theft fetish.)

Now, I get upset with my Eagles, but that's because they have me in some sort of push-pull abusive relationship. Just when you think they could win it all, they make some simple mistake and it all comes crashing down. The Phillies haven't had such an epic relationship with Philly/me. If they're doing poorly, they usually stay that way. If they're doing well, it's usually for a reason, and it usually stays pretty consistent. No surprises from them. 

Maybe that's it! I HATE surprises. And that's probably why I don't feel as confident in the Eagles as I do the Phillies! Hmm... However, I do feel a little more loyal to the Eagles than the Phillies... but that's probably because my relationship with Philly's football franchise is complicated?

Anyways, I'm rooting for Philadelphia in this World Series, not because I'm some bandwagon fan from "Philly". No, I'm an-East Side of PA, Philly Suburbs-raised girl, and therefore I am regionally loyal to anything from Philly and Eastern PA, and I've been rooting for the Phillies and all Philadelphia teams since I was little, even if I didn't know the players' names or the stats of their seasons.

Besides, Philly fans are too bitter -- we could use a little holiday cheer!

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69SUdVw-LvY

Okay, back to Game 2:

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!

No comments: